This page collects my posts on the private citizen (i.e., civilian) gun training industry (or community). These posts offer my initial reflections on the topic as part of my ongoing research. Therefore, I welcome readers’ reactions, responses, references, elaborations, and corrections.
My recent set of posts on the rise and organization of the civilian gun training industry (in reverse chronological order, most recent first):
- Credentialism and the Do-It-Yourself Approach to the Firearms Training Industry
- The Apprentice – Private Citizen Firearms Instructor Edition
- Contemporary Private Ctiizen Gun Trainers – Like Dwarfs on the Shoulders of Giants?
- How Rangemaster Puts the “Certification” in the Instructor Development and Certification Course
- Observing Tom Givens’s Rangemaster Instructor Development and Certification Course
- Certifying Civilian Firearms Instructors – A Non-Governmental Approach
- Occupational Licensing of Civlian Firearms Instructors?
- The Association of Defensive Shooting Instructors: Semi-Professionalization of Civilian Gun Trainers?
- What is a “Professional Civilian Firearms Trainer”?
- The Viability of the “Full Time” Firearms Instructor Job by Karl Rehn
- The Rise of the Private Citizen Gun Training (Cottage) Industry
I have also already collected my multiple posts on Col. Jeff Cooper and Gunsite Academy here: https://gunculture2point0.wordpress.com/2017/07/09/gun-culture-2-0-posts-about-col-jeff-cooper-and-gunsite/
My interest in firearms training for private citizens is as longstanding as my interest in gun culture. Some of my earliest posts (see below) were about my experience at Massad Ayoob’s MAG-40 course back in 2012! My older, miscellaneous posts by and about civilian gun trainers (newest first):
- Checking Out Suarez International
- Gun Trainer Drama
- Rob Pincus on Teaching as Cultivating Humanity
- USCCA + PDN + Pincus = Response to NRA Carry Guard
- The Tactical Professor Claude Werner on Negative Outcomes, Standards, and Gun Culture 3.0
- Ken Hackathorn on the American Warrior Show
- NRA Carry Guard “Insurance” and “Training” Program Launched
- Mike Seeklander: “The Way is Training”
- Tom Givens on Training Parameters for Civilian Gun Carry
- From Armed Self-Defense to PreFense While Armed
- Defining Problems and Offering Solutions in the Private Citizen Gun Training Industry
- The American Concealed Carrier as Gunfighter
- Civilized Violence: Lessons from Gun Schools
- Bridging the Gap by Greg Ellifritz
- Someone is in your home. Can you shoot him? Should you? by Grant Cunningham
- The Cornered Cat Kathy Jackson on What Women Want
- Lt. Col Dave Grossman on Sheepdogs and Violence
- Shooting the MAG-40 Qualification Course
- Massad Ayoob’s MAG-40 Course – A Humanitarian Approach to Armed Citizenship
- Massad Ayoob Checks the Accuracy of My Handgun