I recently tabulated the amount of time I have spent wandering around American gun culture at formal events. Many of these were gun training classes or courses.
This page collects my blog posts on the private citizen (i.e., civilian) gun training industry (or community). These posts offer my initial reflections on the topic as part of my ongoing research. Therefore, I welcome readers’ reactions, responses, references, elaborations, and corrections.
I begin with my most recent posts, followed by posts on the rise and organization of the civilian gun training industry as a whole, followed by links to collected posts on particular gun trainers, and concluding with miscellaneous other posts about gun trainers/training.
My most recent posts on gun training are:
- Kyle Rittenhouse is a Poster Child for Civilian Gun Training
- Shooter Ready? Beeeeep. Fail.
- Re-Taking the NC Concealed Handgun Permit Course at Apache Solutions
- Shooting Lessons During and From COVID Times (with The Tactical Professor Claude Werner)
- John Johnston Teaches “Stupid Human Tricks” with Guns
- The Work Never Ends by John Johnston
On the civilian gun training (cottage) industry as a whole (in reverse chronological order, most recent first):
- On the Shoulders of Giants – Again
- Subject Matter Experts and Expertise in the Firearms Training Industry
- Branding in the Firearms Training Industry
- Credentialism and the Do-It-Yourself Approach to the Firearms Training Industry
- The Apprentice – Private Citizen Firearms Instructor Edition
- Contemporary Private Ctiizen Gun Trainers – Like Dwarfs on the Shoulders of Giants?
- How Rangemaster Puts the “Certification” in the Instructor Development and Certification Course
- Observing Tom Givens’s Rangemaster Instructor Development and Certification Course
- Certifying Civilian Firearms Instructors – A Non-Governmental Approach
- Occupational Licensing of Civlian Firearms Instructors?
- The Association of Defensive Shooting Instructors: Semi-Professionalization of Civilian Gun Trainers?
- What is a “Professional Civilian Firearms Trainer”?
- The Viability of the “Full Time” Firearms Instructor Job by Karl Rehn
- The Rise of the Private Citizen Gun Training (Cottage) Industry
My multiple posts on Col. Jeff Cooper and Gunsite Academy.
My interest in firearms training for private citizens is as longstanding as my interest in gun culture. Some of my earliest posts (see below) were about my experience at Massad Ayoob’s MAG-40 course back in 2012!
- Massad Ayoob on Guns, Early 1980s Edition
- Shooting the MAG-40 Qualification Course
- Massad Ayoob’s MAG-40 Course – A Humanitarian Approach to Armed Citizenship
- Massad Ayoob Checks the Accuracy of My Handgun
Collected posts on John Correia of Active Self-Protection.
Collected posts on Craig Douglas of Shivworks.
Collected posts on Travis Haley of Haley Strategic Partners.
Collected posts on Brian Hill of The Complete Combatant.
Collected posts on Paul Howe of Combat Shooting and Tactics (CSAT).
Collected posts on John Murphy of F.P.F. Training.
Collected posts on Rob Pincus of I.C.E. Training.
Collected posts on Gabe Suarez of Suarez International.
Collected posts on Joe Weyer and Alliance Police Training shoothouse course.
And, last but not least, here are my miscellaneous posts by and about civilian gun trainers and training (newest first):
- What a Study Military Small Arms Innovation Has to Teach Us About Civilian Defensive Firearms: Defining End Users (3 of 3)
- Science-y $#!^ as a Red Flag in Gun Training (Bob Keller and Lee Williams)
- Show Me The Money – Pitfalls of Gun Training as a Commercial Product (Bob Keller and Lee Williams)
- Post-9/11 Gun Training Doctrine According to Bob Keller and Lee Williams
- Two Gun Trainers, Three Opinions; or, One Gun Trainer, Two Schools?
- Distinguishing Responsibly Armed Citizens from Mere Gun Owners (Erik Utrecht, Michigan Defensive Firearms Institute on Ballistic Radio)
- Talking with Karl Rehn on the Handgun World Podcast
- Gun Guys: Legend Bill Wilson Interviews Legend Ken Hackathorn
- Jiu-Jitsu is the Answer. What was the Question?
- Firearms Training and Gun Safety: What is Actually Taught?
- Back to Basics: Taking the NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting Course
- From the Lucky Gunner Lounge: Five Reasons Firearms Training Fails
- Gun Trainer Drama (fake Recoil magazine cover)
- The Tactical Professor Claude Werner on Negative Outcomes, Standards, and Gun Culture 3.0
- Ken Hackathorn on the American Warrior Show
- NRA Carry Guard “Insurance” and “Training” Program Launched
- Mike Seeklander: “The Way is Training”
- From Armed Self-Defense to PreFense While Armed (Steve Tarani)
- Defining Problems and Offering Solutions in the Private Citizen Gun Training Industry
- Civilized Violence: Lessons from Gun Schools (sociologist Harel Shapira)
- Bridging the Gap by Greg Ellifritz
- Someone is in your home. Can you shoot him? Should you? by Grant Cunningham
- The Cornered Cat Kathy Jackson on What Women Want
- Lt. Col Dave Grossman on Sheepdogs and Violence